Sunday, September 18, 2011

LOFT LIFE: What I didn't know in high school


There are lots of things I didn’t know in high school. I mean, what does a 15, 16 or 17 year old know anyway? This is funny just thinking about it from my elder perspective. But, the most important lack of wisdom I am now discovering is how wrong I was about who to choose as friends, and my oversight of some really fine people in the making.
How do I know this now? Strangely it is Facebook again that has opened up my horizons.
As my classmates gather together for a big reunion year, one of my classmates, yes, one who I overlooked then, asked me if I would create a website for our reunion. I recommended a Facebook page to start with.
In doing that, more than a dozen classmates have signed up to get the information on our 2012 reunion, and most of those people are ones I hardly knew in high school. They were popular, or athletic or quiet or not in my classes, or they were the boyfriend of a friend who ditched me in high school, or they just weren’t in my purview at all.
But, these people, as I connect or reconnect with them now, are really good people, people I want to know, people my husband and I would go out to dinner with, people who have wonderful values, outlooks on life, and who are kind to me and uplifting, and even encouraging. They are people of faith, people who are hard-working, family-oriented, savvy, and friendly. 
Why didn’t I see this in them in high school?
It makes me sad to have missed so many friends then, and maybe even so many years of friendship since then. But it makes me happy that it isn’t too late. Thanks to social media, we are connecting.
And, the best part: when we gather for a reunion next year, it won’t be to compare grey hair, girth or success. It will be to say hello to people who I am now feeling very connected to, very excited about seeing again, face to face. Thanks to social media, we already know about the grey hair, the girth, the successes, and so we can get right down to sharing more edifying stuff. 
I wish I could pass down this information, this wisdom, to my grandchildren. One of the adages that comes to mind is something one of our church family friends in California said to my youngest daughter: The nerds of today are the CEO’s of tomorrow! That actually made an impression on her. She chose boyfriends based on it--no kidding. That made me laugh, because I had no such mentor when I was in high school.
But, it isn’t just the nerds who I missed out on. Actually, I always preferred them. But, I didn’t know that John, who loved motorcycles and black leather jackets, was intending on law school, or that Ronnie, the athlete, would be a friend who organized reunions and attended to details like researching names and phone numbers and emails and addresses so all of us didn’t have to do that, or Mike, Allan and Ed, who share political concerns with me, and who I hardly spoke to in high school, or Sally, who was voted best dressed in our yearbook, but who I have come to know on FB as a very loving woman, who I wish I had known better back then as someone more than a very pretty face.
Anyway, you get the picture. I was a young, clueless teen. I am now an older, wiser woman. And, I am grateful that it’s not too late to find friends in my high school class.

And, maybe it's not too late to pass down this wisdom to someone--like you--so you can pass it down to your children and grandchildren.

15 comments:

  1. I love this story, and it is so to the point. Why does it take us so long to learn to understand and accept other people.

    I am Sally in the story, and although voted "Best Dressed", I would rather have been "Miss Congeniality". I was painfully shy and it was misconstrued as being a snob.

    Thanks Marjorie for writing this....I wish we could all go back to those days and know what we know now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the classic youth is wasted on the young adage. Thanks so much for your comment. You are a patient woman and thanks for trying so long to finally get this Google comment thing down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure Marjorie....keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well gee whiz! I'm glad you had a class big enough to wish you knew them better!
    Great post.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. I did realize when I wrote it that you probably knew all 10 people in YOUR class. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed. So much truth. Shame it took 50 years for us to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marjorie, for some reason it just doesn't like my gmail address. I will try again but here's what I said and should have copied to paste: The whole reason I signed up initally for FB was for my high school reunion. We were able to reconnect for up to a year before the 40 year reunion and it helped a lot. I have become close with several people I really didn't know and even met up with one here in IL. But we can't be too hard on ourselves--high school is a busy time and everyone had their social set for varying reasons so KNOWING everyone would have been impossible. Teaching our youth now to just respect, be friendly to all, enjoy the fact of the social media but remember personal contact is best while we are all together seems important to me.. Life and communication has changed so much since those days we were in school--yikes! BTW my two very best friends in the world are NOT on FB--one from high school and one from later. Keep up the good loft stories! TKM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just rejoined Followers, so we will see if that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is just so much superficial stuff that people think is important that when factored into the grand scheme just doesn't matter. Try telling that to kids these days and you will get a big eye-roll. Things were'nt so different 30 years ago. At my 30th reunion, I couldn't believe some of the changes in people, mostly for the better.I'm just glad that whatever or whoever came into their lives made such a positive impact. maturity is a huge factor also, and of course all the insight and wisdom from being a parent sure does help with all that life hands you. You just don't have that when you're a teen..you just think you do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. so true Sue. But, I would keep telling the kids the wisdom, even with the eye roiling. They are listening, and they will take it in. It's the...train up a child.... It does work. And, who else is gonna tell 'em?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really? You were pretty dumb in high school? Oh, let me see, come to think of it, I was also pretty dumb.

    The friends I chose to hang out with were a mixed bag: my faves were the ones who joined me on the street corner for a smoke between classes! I have no idea what happened to the group, but Jim, Keith, Joe were always having a smoke between classes: could be they quit, or maybe they are dead!

    My gf was Annie-a talented artist. She was in love with me, but nothing physical.

    Good choices? Never did drugs; never smoked a joint, though even 50+ years ago, they were easily available. Mom had always warned me that drugs could harm the intellectual capacities- something I was not willing to risk.

    Glad you hooked up with some friends from long ago. Our today perspectives are far different than when we were 17!

    Aaron Ashcraft

    ReplyDelete