Sunday, June 16, 2013

LOFT LIFE: Coffee, Starbucks and the marketing game


I drink Starbucks coffee at home because I buy the Kirkland version of their breakfast brew. I drink Starbucks coffee at their stores mostly because I have a loyalty card with dollars on it that, for some reason, I advance them money for. What a great marketing game!   


When we had the whole Year 2000 scare that life as we know it would end when the computers and clocks of the world came to a halt, my son said: “You need to stock up on guns and coffee. Coffee, because many people can’t live normally without it, and guns to protect your coffee."

The marketing gimmick at Starbucks is a curious human behavior psychology though. There is other coffee. There is other coffee I like, and even prefer to Starbucks--Panera Bread’s coffee, for instance. 

Panera Bread doesn’t make me jump through hoops to get a free refill. They offer me as many free refills as I can drink on a visit. I don’t need to advance them money, or get stars, or any of that. And their coffee isn’t bitter. But there aren’t many Panera Bread’s at airports, which gets me back to the fact that the Starbucks loyalty card is really convenient.

I do like Starbucks’ new Refreshers, especially the lime one. These are the ones with green coffee, which I think don’t really have any nutritional benefits, as I understand it, because the green beans are roasted. *sigh*

Recently I read that Starbucks is granting a star for any Starbucks product purchase, whether in their stores, or somewhere else--like Costco--where their products are available, and that all you have to do is follow directions to get the credit.

I bought two pounds of coffee at Costco, and then discovered that I was five days too early for the launch of that program. No stars. Then I purchased a case of refreshers at the Costco near my daughter’s home in California, kept the receipt and tried to put in the receipt code on my Starbucks account. Nope. I need the code from some special STAR on the package--which, of course, I didn’t realize then, so it is back in Los Angeles, probably in some trash heap by now.

I tried to purchase another case of Starbuck’s Refreshers here in Connecticut, ‘cause I like ‘em, but guess what. Connecticut people didn’t buy enough for Costco to carry these here. So,  still no stars. That’s three starless Costco purchases so far. And, the other downside of the Starbucks retail store refreshers is that they don’t come in the two flavors offered at the Starbuck’s stores.

So really, why am I so hep to get more stars, to get from the Green to Gold Starbucks level? Ummm. they give you a free cup of coffee if you are gold. At least I think they do. Not totally sure. 

And, oh, and I had 24 stars toward the 30 I needed to get to gold, and somehow they all disappeared recently and I had to start over. Something about an expiration date.

This seems like a lot of work and complication just to get a free cup of coffee that I don’t even prefer. But, still I keep that card on automatic reload. 

Do you think I should just wait until I see a Panera Bread at the airport and chuck the whole Starbucks prepaid card thing?

Oh the power of marketing.

9 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you how many times we've gone to Starbucks (though we prefer Panera coffee as well) simply because of the rewards card. We wouldn't have the rewards card except that people get us Starbucks gift cards instead of Panera gift cards.

    However, in Panera's defense, they have a rewards club too, and I can't tell you how many times I've been offered a free drink or pastry, and I'm admittedly an infrequent shopper. Make sure you sign up for their card. It's tied to your phone number.

    Finally, try Lavazza coffee when you get a chance. You can buy it in bulk on Amazon. We prefer it to all of the ground coffees, even Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jason. To prove the power of Starbucks marketing, I DO have the Panera card, totally enjoy their freebies, but still forgot to mention it. Unreal.

      Delete
  2. I've found myself coveting the Starbucks eco-friendly cup just so I can save a few cents on my very infrequent visits. The only thing that has stopped me from being sucked into that marketing gimmick is because I KNOW I'll never have the cup in my car when I need it, but that doesn't keep me from toying with buying it. Every. Single. Time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leah. I am really not aware of this eco cup thing.

      Delete
  3. I also discovered Starbucks will make you your own French press of whatever roast you desire (if they have it) and for only $3.50. So now I never need a refill because I can't drink the 3-4 cups worth in the press. I favor now the Sumatran and other Indonesian more earthy-toned roasts. I discovered this after reading about how Howard (Shultz) orders, and asked how he gets his favorites if they aren't on the board that day. I was told, "Oh you can always order what you want if you have the time to wait for a French press. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! If you like French press coffee, you should get an Aeropress from Aerobie. It's a quick and easy one cup French Press maker. We even take it traveling on vacations!

      Delete
  4. I don't like coffee, but I get a gift card each Christmas from my boss. Up until this year it was for Starbucks. I use it for Peppermint hot chocolate, and am pleasantly surprised at how long it lasts. This year I received a Caribu Coffee card. Hmm... Maybe he should have noticed that the closest one to me was in Pennsylvania. Oh well. That's what happens when your boss is in another state. Anyway, the power of marketing correctly is amazing. Starbucks and Apple have it down to a science. It's surprising that more companies don't. Is not enough to have a good product or service, you have to get people to like it on a "gut" level. All it takes to decide not to buy it is "It doesn't feel right." Marketing is extremely interesting, and something that I've been researching lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't relate; don't drink coffee!

    from Toni M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellen you got my main point, which is that the marketing is so good it overrides the product lure, which I find amazing. Toni, you are so sweet to comment even if to say no to coffee.

    ReplyDelete